Saturday, March 9, 2013

New Meaning

Today the sun was shining.
To anyone outside of the pacific northwest, you might say, "Yeah, so?"
Yeah, so, it's March.  We don't get spring until after the 4th of July and then summer starts in late August and is over in approximately a week. 
Okay, I exaggerate a little.... but not by much.
Today the hymn brought new meaning to the words "There is sunshine in my soul today."  I felt a glow that made me smile and happy all day long.  
(Side story:  when I went to Safeway to get the fixings for chili dogs, I saw this little girl (abt 10) pushing a cart all by herself.  She obviously fancied herself very grown up.  She looked straight in my eyes as we passed each other and gave me an Idaho farmer 'Howdy!' nod.  I nodded back, totally wanting to squeeze her cute little face, but knowing that wouldn't be appropriate and would make her feel not so grown up.)
Taking methotrexate (my new lifelong medicine) makes me tired.  I only take it once a week, so Fridays are really bad.  I'd like to sleep all day, but that is rarely convenient.  I've always loved sleep and usually don't have a problem getting there.  By mid afternoon on most days, I can be found passed out on the couch with Heidi either playing with her toys quietly or playing on the computer.  I really hope the house doesn't burn down or that she suddenly gets the strength of 10 men to drag my slumbering form out the door.
A couple of nights we were reading 2 Nephi chapter 1.  These verses took on a whole new meaning for me:
13 O that ye would awake; awake from a deep asleep, yea, even from the sleep of bhell, and shake off the awful cchains by which ye are bound, which are the chains which bind the children of men, that they are carried away captive down to the eternal dgulf of misery and woe.
14 Awake! and arise from the dust
As I struggle to stay awake for things and during things, I can't imagine not being awake to the things of the Spirit.  I can't imagine how hard it must have been for Laman and Lemuel to hear the words of their father and really only hear a voice that sounded like an adult from the Peanuts cartoons.  "Wah, wah, wah, wah."  I'm sure that some part of them wanted to get it, to understand, but they were so spiritually sleepy. 
Awake!  Arise from the dust! Get up off that couch that will soon have a groove that looks like my body!  Awake.

No comments: