Every week, Alison's 1st grade teacher sends out a newsletter via email. Alison had mentioned that Mrs. K had been absent for doctors appointments lately. We found out why-- breast cancer. Thankfully it was found in the early stages.
I love the community we live in. By Tuesday night, I had 15 emails in my inbox; all moms from the class wanting to do something for our kids' sweet teacher. I had been thinking about what I/Alison could do for her. I thought of a quilt. Thanks to Dan's mom, I have a lot of fabric just sitting in a bin, waiting for an amazing project. This seemed to fit the bill. So, while the other moms collected funds to purchase gift cards for restaurants and grocery stores, made cupcakes and darling Peeps s'mores (the idea was darling, not the Peeps), I did some math and figured out how I wanted the quilt to look. I snuck into the school (okay, I had to sign in and talk to a few people, so it wasn't really sneaking, but Mrs. K didn't know I was there) and hijacked the class's music time. All of the kids wrote and drew on quilt blocks. When I told the kiddos that I would be making the squares into a blanket, one little boy looked at me skeptically and asked, "Are you sure you know how to make a blanket out of these?!"
Maybe. Like most things, I'm proficient enough to get the job done, just don't look too closely.
I cut strips and sewed all day. Miraculously, my math didn't fail me. Sometimes things are just supposed to be, because you can feel extra help as you do it. That's what happened here. Usually my sewing is labored, and involves mistakes and a fair amount of swearing under my breath while I unpick seams. It was totally easy.
Alison didn't get to finish her block; she was one of the last ones to come over to make one. I told her she could finish hers at home while I was sewing everything else together. Look closely and see if you can find hers.
The moms that could come, met at the school on Friday (Mrs. K's last day before surgery) and brought all of our goodies in to the class for a surprise party.
Yeah. There were some tears.
Saturday, March 30, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
what a great idea Jill. And it looks great! Is there anything that you cannot do?
HJW
I cannot run.
Post a Comment