Friday, March 8, 2013

Morgan buries a bunny, otherwised entitled Heidi finds love

We've been missing Velvet.  She was a chubby little lop eared bunny that belonged to our neighbors.  Motherhood wasn't her strong suit-- she ate her babies-- so she was kind of allowed to run free.  She always went home at night, hopping up her little ramp to her cage, but all day she would wander through the culdesac.  A couple of weeks ago she got brave enough to spend quite a bit of time in our backyard.  Our backyard that abuts the trail.  The trail that coyotes use as their midnight highway.  Real coyotes. 
When Velvet stopped dropping by and communing with the wild bunnies that live behind us, I figured she was either off becoming a mother again or had been eaten. 
Sadly, Velvet found something bad in another neighbor's shed.  RIP Velvet. 
Morgan offered to bury the bunny, much like his mother who offered to bury the rat that expired in the middle of the culdesac a few years back.  He, Ethan, and Heidi went out to the trail to dispose of the remains.

Last year Heidi and I were coming home after getting the older girls on the bus.  She leaned against the front door, and much like a teenage girl she said, "Jack (aged 7) is just a friend, but I LO-OVE Ethan (aged 11).  And then she sighed.  I smiled because it was all so very dramatic.  It seemed that she forgot about her blossoming romantical awareness because she didn't mention it again. 
This morning, she again confided to me that she has a crush on Ethan and that it was a secret.  (I know.  I'm a terrible mother!) When she realized that the kids were home from school, she hurried and put on her golden shoes, her coat, and was out the door like a shot.  "I'm going to play with Ethan!"  I tried, not very hard, to get her to come back in and not bother the 'big boys'.  A little bit later, Heidi came in all dejected.  I asked her what was wrong.
"Ethan said to stop following him!" she wailed. 
Oh, the sorrows of young love. 
I noticed later that as Ethan and Morgan went out to bury the bunny, that Ethan was holding Heidi's hand.  Sometimes all love needs is a little patience and persistence. 

No comments: