Wednesday, February 6, 2013

What I Wanted

I wanted to make Heidi this cake for her birthday:
 
 
What she got was this:
I found a great wedding cake recipe.  Take one boxed white cake mix.
Add 1 c flour
        1 c sugar
        3/4 tsp salt
        1 1/3 c water
        1/8 c vegetable oil
        1 tsp vanilla
        1 tsp almond extract
        1 c sour cream
        4 egg whites
(I added pink, red, and white jimmies because she also wanted polka dots)
Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.  Pour into greased and floured cake pans, filling a little over half way.  Tap to get out bubbles.  Bake at 325 until done.
I asked Heidi if she wanted a round cake or a rectangle cake.  She wanted a heart cake.  I can do this.  There was too much batter, so I made a 8 inch round as well.  I thought I had plenty of time before I had to take Morgan to piano lessons.  Not so much.  The round was a lovely light golden, spongy brown before we had to leave.  The heart was not done.  The heart cake cooked an extra half hour while we sat in the car in the rain while Morgan's fingers danced across the piano.  The cake survived.  Well done, but edible. 
Somehow my inner mother and grandmother surfaced tonight.  Sure.  Why not stick a heart cake that's slightly bigger than the round on top of the round?!  Why not make some really runny PINK frosting and add sprinkles to make it all seem better?!  All of the dearly departed creative geniuses in my family line just turned over in their graves. 
Good news?  The cake is divine tasting. 
And I do have a chance to redeem myself.  Heidi's Minnie Mouse Birthday party is next week.  She's requested cupcakes.  Nothing can go wrong with that, right?
 


No comments: