Thursday, January 10, 2013

Prognosis

Last night was excruciating. 
Let's preface that with the best quote ever from the Doctor on Star Trek Voyager:  "I'll complain if I want to.  Complaining is comforting." 
Alison caught the 2 day version of the stomach virus that's been going around.  Yesterday she wanted to be held all day.  So, we sat and watched Voyager all day.  And I designed and made a little crochet doll purse/cradle (minus the bottom of the Dawn container like the ones my Grandma Hansen used to make) for Heidi's friend's birthday.  I didn't use my bigger lower joints and they seized up.  I over used my hands and elbows and they balked, swearing and screaming.  This morning I woke up and cried.  I always vacillate on those pain scales they show you at the doctor's office.  "Well, I'm sure it's not the worse pain I've ever had.... but I'm in here aren't I?"  There was no question.  This was slightly less than child birth-- only every where and I couldn't get my beloved epidural.
I had my rheumatologist appointment this morning. 
I have Psoriatic Arthritis.
Right now the goal is to get the inflammation under control. 
Then the medications begin.  The "for the rest of my life" medications. 
Bonuses:  I'm not as lazy as I feel and appear.  The medicines will probably put my scalp psoriasis into remission, which hasn't happened in something like 8 years. 
So that's it. 
Some people earn a better character through pain and suffering.  I'm a complainer, raised by complainers.  It is comforting.  I'll get there, eventually, but I'll probably grouse some along the way. 

3 comments:

robin marie said...

I'm so sorry Jill! I hope you can get some pain free comfort! I think you are allowed to complain away!

Jill W said...

Over the next few days I may regret the other effects of Prednezone, but just now I walked up and down our stairs. I didn't cringe. I didn't take just one stair at a time while my knees cried. It's been over a year since I could say that.
This whole experience is going to take some soul searching. How much is my quality of life worth? Do I rob Peter's longevity to pay for Paul's comfort? The me that walked down 14 steps in a row kind of likes the comfort.

melissa said...

Well, when we celebrate our 111th birthdays, I'll being the narcotics and you bring the antidepressants!
Just Kidding!
I remember when I found out I had fibromyalgia qbout 8 years ago . . . I was so angry and depressed. Pain has increased over the years . . . it would take a whole new blog to express my fears, frutrations, and sorrows. But life goes on and somehow we just go with it.
We can complain together on the bad days.
Love you!