Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Serves You Right, Jingle Bells!

I think I was pretty old when I got my first Barbie doll; maybe 10 or 11.  Back then we were allowed to be little kids longer, I think.  Pretty soon the house was filled with naked Barbies.  To my shame, when my little brother picked out and gave me Barbie's pink corvette for my 15th Christmas, I was pretty upset.  That car really took Barbie places and I should have been more graceful.
My brothers were okay with playing Barbie.  Once in a while.  It was pretty awesome growing up with brothers that we could run around playing "Red Dawn" with and then have a side of Barbie fashion show. 
When I was something like 17 and Barbies were plentiful (between three girls aged 17, 13, and 8), we finally got a coveted Ken doll.  FINALLY!  It's tough being 12 inches tall when your only choice in men is 6 inch GI Joe, who can't even change clothes and go to a fancy dance.  Besides, when Barbie and GI Joe have kids, they turn out to be Strawberry Shortcake and her friends.  It's a little creepy, but needs must.
Barbie is little girl soap opera.  We had never seen a soap opera in our lives, yet Barbie's life was as twisted and titillating as anything from "Days of Our Lives".
Our favorite Barbisode happened this way:
Mark was gone by this time, so the rest of us (7 kids-- 3 girls, 4 boys) were playing with the Barbies.  I was Punky Kim.  I only dressed in yellow and purple.  I was married to Steve (okay, so it was a Ken knock off named Steve.) first, but he left me for another of my Barbie sisters. I hated men.  Evan, the baby of the family (aged 6) was Rachel-- the Barbie with the longest hair.  Rachel was getting ready for her wedding to Steve.  I don't remember who played Steve, or the other random bridesmaids Barbies.  Nels (15) was Jezebel, the priestess who would perform the wedding, since we didn't have another Ken.
We spent quite awhile getting all the Barbies into their finery.  Steve probably only had his tux, so he was always dressed to the nines.  The wedding party converged on the cathedral (our living room with it's crystal chandelier and the fancy glitter ceiling).  It began.  Suddenly, Jezebel the priestess was making the moves on Steve.  Steve's wandering eye could not be contained.  The two rejoiced in their "love at first sight" and ran off into the distance. 
Evan Rachel was confused and forlorn.  This was an entire break from the story we were in.  She did what in self respecting scorned woman would do.  She got in her pink corvette and chased down the erstwhile lovers.  Alas.  Jezebel received the brunt of Rachel's frenzied attack as she was run over several times, all the while Evan yelled, "Serves you right Jingle Bells!"
Ahhh.... fun times had by all.

1 comment:

Hopingtosell said...

Thank you for that. I LOVE hearing stories about Evan. I never get enough of them.