Thursday, December 13, 2012

Be Careful

Be careful. 
This post is in response to the feminist Mormon women movement.  I doubt any of them will read it, but it must be said.
A commenter that disagreed with you closed her words with "Be careful".  You threw that away.  You threw away her concern because you thought it was for you.  In a part it was.  Instead, that "Be careful" was trying to help you realize the power that you have.  You are in our Relief Societies, in our Primaries, our Sunday Schools, and our Young Women's Organizations.  You are our teachers and the teachers of our children.  You enter our classrooms (like all teachers and friends) and you have our trust.  Be careful.
Be careful how you speak to my children.  Take care that you only teach them doctrine and not how you feel the church as an organization should be run.  Take care that you do not make them feel less than they are because you feel less than someone else.  Do not ever think that you have the right to confuse them or make them angry like you.  Do not think that you were put in their path for a month, or a year, or two years to do anything but to uplift them and to help Dan and I as parents to bring our family back to Heavenly Father.  Do not feel it is your responsibility to correct what I, in faith, am teaching my children.  Be careful.
What you do with your life is your eventuality.  You are responsible for you.  Be careful in your crusade.
 I do not understand you.  I have not been on the path you have been on in order to feel the inequality that you do.  I do not understand your sense of disquiet and malcontent.  It really does break my heart that there are so many women out there who feel that their divine calling and responsibility is not enough.  How could so many of us have repeated the Young Women's motto and walked away feeling that we are not enough or that we deserve a bigger piece of earthly pie?   Be careful.

7 comments:

robin marie said...

I have been so riled up about this all day! I'm glad you posted. This is perfect. Through everything I read today I couldn't help but think about the winding down of the Book of Mormon and eventual destruction of its people. One of the first signs is mention that the people separated into all manner of -ites. I feel like this is a modern example of that.

Jill W said...

As I read the article about wearing pants on Sunday, I couldn't help but draw Book of Mormon conclusions, either. The organizers of the event want feminist women of the church to recognize each other. It sounded a bit too much like the Nephites painting their foreheads red so that they could tell the difference between the righteous Nephites and those who sided with the wicked Lamanites. I wrote a comment on the article, but it was promptly removed. Admittedly, I was upset when I wrote it, but it wasn't THAT bad.

Jill W said...

Nevermind. I found my comment on the article. I didn't scroll down far enough.

robin marie said...

You are brave. I never comment on any of those sites!

Erin said...

Well expressed! Among many other things, I keep thinking about Kara Hill's talk last Sunday, especially when she said, "only take advice from someone you'd want to trade places with."

Caryn Allen said...

So well said. I've been trying to reason with so many people who have jumped on this ridiculous bandwagon and it's to no avail. I am saddened that these women and their supports feel it is acceptable to politically protest in the middle of worship services. It is incredibly irreverent and in my opinion, sacrilegious. Nothing in the church was ever changed in this manor, only through divine revelation from God. Clearly these women are so blinded and misguided that they don't understand that.

Jill W said...

I thought a lot about Kara's talk. I've had these thoughts circling in my head for quite a while about other things, but they applied to this particular subject as well. I don't care how others live the gospel. It's a shared journey and we are all moving towards a common goal.
I don't care if someone wears pants to church. I wouldn't for my own reasons. The pants are not the issue. The issue is the open rebellion. The issue is the need to identify "them vs. us". The issue is taking a sacred ordinance and turning into a selfish battle cry. The issue is that they are doing it in front of vulnerable people and they won't be there later to pick up the pieces when the vulnerable break. The issue is that my salvation depends on me getting my family to God and I don't want those whom I trust and love to jeopardize it.
I obviously have a lot of issues.