Thursday, December 8, 2011

We really aren't Grinches

Dan refuses to put up lights "to begin with".  He says it's the electric bill.  I know it's the toll on his delicate health.  He likes to get up on the roof for other things, but that's in the summer.  He also knows that if he puts the lights up, he has to take them down.  In a timely manner.
Usually, I do better.  I have tons of decorations and trappings.  Last year, I couldn't get to the nativity, because somebody (that would be me) needs to clean out the decoration closet or as it will henceforth be known TCWSNBN (the closet which shall not be named).  This year we are pulling up the carpets the day after Christmas to put down a hardwood floor.  I dragged the Christmas tree down from it's hole in the decoration closet TCWSNBN.  It's up.  No festive colored balls hang from its boughs.  No star glimmers from the top.  I just couldn't stomach dragging all of the stuff out, only to put it away on Christmas day.  I must be taking my cues from Dan.
So this year, our tree will be built on imagination.  Alison got a Barbie book at the book fair yesterday and it had little punch out cardstock ornaments.  Heidi was playing with Sophie's Scooby characters.  I found a princess crown and a Hello Kitty McD's toy on the floor as I was cleaning.  There is a stray monkey from a Barrel of Monkeys that has lived on the dryer for a year.  A broken candy cane.  Viola!  Our tree is getting decorated and I didn't have to tunnel into the depths of TCWSNBN and the kids will just put away their toys.  Yeah, because that's where I found all of them.  Put away.
Speaking of being grinchey, last year we came up with a plan to have Santa presents and then only do a family gift.  In years past, it was a gift from each and every one to each and every one, plus things that they needed.  The mountain of gifts under our tree (7 x 7 + change) was embarrassing.  Mostly it was me enabling the kids to not take care of all their crap and yet another reason for the throbbing vein in my neck to reach a rupturing point.  We decided to repeat it this year.  Maybe make it a tradition.  I find I spend more time listening to them and looking for the perfect gift since I know they will only get one individual present.  I could mention the savings, too but that just shows my heart that's two sizes too small.  I can't really complain about $$ because my present is the hardwood floor/new moulding/painting and that took a chunk out of the savings account. 
Now everyone join me in a round of Fah who foraze!  Dah who doraze!  Welcome Christmas, come this way!  Fah who foraze!  Dah who doraze!  Welcome Christmas, Christmas Day!

1 comment:

robin marie said...

you are not grinchy! i'm excited for your new floors! p.s. i kind of love the name of your closet!