Sunday, November 8, 2009

Happy Halloween!

This past weekend we did the Murder Mystery party "Powar and Greede". It was set at a movie premiere during the 30s. We were all involved in Hollywood somehow. I was the has-been actress turned gossip columnist. **Spoiler alert** I did it! After 14 years of doing these parties, I was finally the murderess! It does make a girl feel good. (thanks Susan for the picture!)
Heidi as the cutest darn garden gnome in the world! I have several costumes she could have worn.... then I saw this one in a costume catalog. I resisted. I saw it online. I resisted again. I saw it at Walmart. I resisted again. Then, the next time I went to Walmart, I had to buy it. It truly was kismet and she's as cute as I knew she'd be.

"Straw-ba-ba-ba-ba-berry, Strawberry Shortcake! I know a girl, and there is no one sweeter, she's got that special touch! Best friend in the world, and when you get to know her, you'll love her very much!..... She's so ba-ba-ba-berry extror-di-di-dinary! She's Straw-ba-ba-berry Shortcake!" It was so very funny to hear a preteen/very young teen who came to our door trick or treating say, "I love Strawberry Shortcake! It is so sad that they've changed her." Which change? The original one, or the current one?

It shouldn't come as a surpise that Sophie is a princess kitty. She was going to use Malynn's old Mulan costume until I found this little number. $6 well spent. Happiness can be bought. I don't even have the heart to put it away with all of the other costumes.

Malynn as Hannah Montana. We couldn't find a modest costume that didn't look like it would fall apart after one use. Thank goodness for sparkly material and fancy bangles. I do have a complaint-- the glue they use to glue those little sequins on gums up the needle and the whole sewing mechanism. As if my possessed sewing machine needs more issues. All worth it, because she LOVES the dress. It may make some church or school appearances if I'm not very watchful.

Morgan as the Grim Reaper. In choosing this costume, there was much ado in the Williams house. Sophie is terrified (the screaming, running, burying head in parent, wailing, gnashing of teeth variety) of all things injured, gaping, bloody, or skeletal. You may be confused, as am I. Isn't this Scooby Doo's number one fan?! Isn't Scooby Doo all about ghostly things? Aren't there some downright scary Scooby Doo movies? I guess she compartmentalizes it all. Cartoon gore vs. costume gore. I'm kind of glad the neighbor didn't put up her scary Halloween decorations this year. Sophie never would have made it past their house to the bus.

1 comment:

melissa said...

The kids look so cool! You are a fun mom. This year I told my kids, "I don't have extra money, look around the house and find a costume!" Well, you even went and sewed things! I guess you showed me up! The murder mystery party brings back good old memories of furry chests and strange costumes. What fun! Wush we were there!