Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Cookfest Update

I'm almost done. I borrowed a friend's stand mixer and have my kitchen aid going-- two double batches makes a lot and fast. The bread is done. Hooray. The cookies are done except for the kind I can't freeze. Fudge, done. Two types of fondant, done. Two colors of cream cheese mints, done. I have two more fondant flavors to do, one more color of cream cheese mints, and chocolate-peppermint bark. It'll all start all over again the week after we get back from Idaho, but it won't be as intense, since I will only have to do a batch or so of everything to refill the coffers. I've come to realize I'm not so good at guesstimating recipe outcomes.
I'll take pictures of the finished products. My freezer is full. My kids are certain I will never bake for them again, but they do enjoy all of the spoons and bowls they get to lick. Alison has a burn on her arm from trying to steal a cookie off of a pan I just pulled out of the oven. At first I black listed her from the kitchen and threatened her cute little life if she got close. Then I realized that I could encourage her help in a healthy way. I got out a little apron for her and she is now my number one helper. We scrub her up, put on the apron, and she gets to dump ingredients into the bowls. Instead of being under my feet and torturing Heidi, she is happy and our morning baking goes so much better.

No comments: