Our foray into the land of unemployment has not been without it's challenges. We married older-- both of us were done with college and Dan had a "real" job when I met him. We've never had to go through the starving young married period. There wasn't a lot of money, but we chose to eat Ramen, we weren't forced into it.
We've gotten used to our middle aged life of, well, not luxury, but of being fine financially.
Last month we needed cheese. We only get Tillamook. It is the best. However, at $8.99 for a 2 pound loaf, it just wasn't on the books. Or so I thought. I bought a store brand. It crumbled when it sliced. It was sharp and had crystals in it. All things that are fine for cheddar cheese, and in fact are looked for by connoisseurs. But not by us. There was unanimous complaining. So, I will look for better deals and we will use our precious Tillamook medium cheddar like it is gold.
Also, before I realized that this was going to be the hottest, longest summer in the history of us being here, I decided to economize by not turning on the air conditioner. Our neighbor's units have been grinding away since mid-May. We cooled off with fans at night. Then came yesterday with temperatures in the 90s. The complaining increased incrementally with the temperatures. No one could sleep. Everyone laid around in a stupor, wishing we were those people who run around naked. This afternoon I broke. The AC came on. Alison came in from the bus and started yelling, "Mom! The bathroom is SO cool!" It hearkened back to my days growing up when we all had our vent and after changing sprinklers we would come in and camp out with our heads on the vents, sucking in cool air.
Monday, June 8, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Growing up in Arizona we always took night baths went to bed with wet hair!
Post a Comment