When Heidi was sick over Christmas break, I took her in to the Urgent Care. It was Saturday and I knew it would be a three hour visit. It was! How exciting for us. While the Physician's Assistant was sure it was just a virus (it was the real flu) she did a urine test just to make sure there wasn't an infection. Just before we left, she pulled me aside and told me that she and the other on staff PA had discussed it and the results from the urine test showed that Heidi had high ketones (something like that) which usually meant that a child had type 1 diabetes. We should get it checked.
I set up her well child check up for Feb and mentioned that we needed the tests. Then, at an appointment last Friday for Morgan, I asked the pediatrician what he thought. He pulled up the test results and was frustrated. The numbers may be a marker for diabetes, but they also mean that a child isn't eating properly due to being sick. Whew! There weren't any other symptoms of diabetes 1, so I hadn't been horribly concerned, but it was there-- a lurking monster.
I did learn one thing from that experience. Heidi doesn't know how to pee unless it is ready to explode out of her body. I always thought she just waited until there was about to be an accident because she was too busy playing. Trying to get her to pee into that little cap thingee was torture.
Which brings me to our bathroom problems. Suddenly, she can't go to the bathroom by herself. A few months ago, her teacher emailed me and said that something happened at school; she wasn't sure what, but now Heidi wouldn't go to the bathroom at school anymore. She wasn't going at home anymore, either. Bright red, def con 1 lights started whirling. What happened? She would not say. It was something, but she didn't want to remember it. WHAT HAPPENED??!! I was kind of getting panicked.
I finally coaxed it out of her tonight. In the kindergarten rooms, there are little bathrooms. I think they must abut each other and share the plumbing. So, she had come in during recess to go potty. She got into the bathroom, shut the door, and there was a strange noise (I'm assuming from the other bathroom being used) and she high tailed out with her pants around her ankles. Her teacher was the only one in the room, thank goodness, because as Heidi said, "We don't show our butts to boys!" So now the thought of another noise from the bathroom scares her, as does her realization that if it happened again while she was in there, chances are, she would again trip the light fantastic with her pants down and there could be boys.
Being 5 is so hard.
And I am so relieved it's only as hard as it's been.
Wednesday, January 15, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment