In the last year I have been having a change of heart. Some things that were so important to me (like good television viewing) have become less so and other things have been brought to the fore front. I don't think I've ever likened the scriptures to myself and to my family as I have in the past year. Every night we read around 10 verses, with varying amounts of success. The verses are read, sometimes shouted, and mostly ignored. We have our moments when the story interests the kids that they pay attention. On Sunday night we read about the final battle between Shiz and Coriantumr. They paid attention to that. The kids also know that Alma is my favorite book.
Last night's election left me sick at heart, especially Washington state's. There is an abandonment of any semblance of morality. It seriously brings to mind the scripture:
2 Nephi 28:8
8 And there shall also be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry; nevertheless, fear God—he will justify in committing a little sin; yea, lie a little, take the advantage of one because of his words, dig a pit for thy neighbor; there is no harm in this; and do all these things, for tomorrow we die; and if it so be that we are guilty, God will beat us with a few stripes, and at last we shall be saved in the kingdom of God
I didn't see any of my neighbors physically out in our culdesac digging a deep pit with a shovel. I do see it in their well-meaning acceptance of a lifestyle that will only bring harm to society in the long run and for the crazy joi de vivre of legalizing a controlled substance (which will not turn out in any way to resemble what they think they are getting.)
I fell asleep comforted by the knowledge that above all, God is in control. There will be a way for me to worship as I please and to teach my children. It may not be easy. We may be bound down and oppressed, but just like the people who followed Alma, the burdens will be lightened so that we can withstand them. Every day I will be grateful for the counsel that has been pouring from our prophets. Protect your families with scripture study, family prayer, temple attendance, weekly Sabbath observance, family home evening, and more. Be kind. Be thoughtful. I don't want to feel that in order to be my definition of a good American, I have to hate my neighbors or call them names. Getting angry just means that we are giving Satan an edge in the battle he is forging. I don't want to give him that satisfaction. In the end, I'm not responsible to anyone else but my Heavenly Father. In the end, I'm not responsible for anyone elses behavior but mine.

2 comments:
I also love the book of Alma, the later half specifically. Teancum and Moroni more float my boat! Thank you for your thoughts!
Yeah. Teancum and his New Year's resolution. I kind of liked him too. I just felt like Amulek was an amazing gospel scholar and his family had abandoned him, so I could qualify as one of his wives. But Dan decided he wanted me, so I opted for the very real man vs my crazy imagination.
Post a Comment