Potatoes are amazing. I can say this because I grew up in Idaho where potatoes are king. My dad rarely grew them on our farm, but plenty of people around us did. We would go out in the fall, after the fields had been harvested, and glean fresh potatoes. We would dump our large stash in the huge bins my dad built in the garage. They would last for a long time.
Here's a little bit of history out there for everyone. Potatoes came from South America; up in the Andes to be more specific. Potatoes are related to nightshade. The plant is deadly. The original tubers themselves were poisonous. Hungry Incans noticed that the llamas were eating the tubers, but that they were also eating clay along with them. The very first potatoes were eaten with a side dish of watered down clay (as an artist, I should remember what that stuff is called, but I don't). For all those passionately against genetically modified foods, be grateful for this: without any kind of modern technology, the ancient Incans modified the potato into an edible and sustaining food.
As the New World opened up to the Old World, there began a large exchange of goods and products. A starving Europe and Asia, just struggling out from under the oppression of the medieval era, found that the greatest things to come from the Americas were corn and potatoes (beside the gold and silver, which only the wealthy ever saw). One ear of corn feeds more people than one stalk of grain. Potatoes can be grown in sandy soil not fit for other crops. It can be argued that because the people were finally being fed, they had the ability to start the Renaissance and move into the Industrial age. Starving people subsist. Full people create.
Next summer Morgan is headed off to the Boy Scout National Jamboree. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints uses the Boy Scouts along with it's own Duty to God Program for the boys aged 12-18. Between the two, the boys learn leadership and how to become productive, prepared, and service oriented. Morgan loves Scouts and is only 2 required merit badges away from qualifying to start his Eagle Project-- while some of this is because his dad is the Scout Master, a lot is because of Morgan's drive to learn all he can and accomplish the goals in a timely manner.
The three Seattle patrols that are a part of troop D-244 are getting a once in a lifetime opportunity. They will be travelling the east coast before the Jamboree, visiting sites from LDS church history and American history. They will go to Gettysburg, Washington DC, Rochester, NY, and other things I can't think of off the top of my head. Jamboree happens every 4 years. There they will have amazing opportunities and adventures while they are surrounded by other kids who are excited about Scouting.
Morgan has to earn $3500 to attend this (as does his dad, who is one of the Scout Masters going). Right now, he is doing a fundraiser with fresh-out-of-the-ground potatoes. For only $25 you can get a 50 lb box of potatoes. Think you can never eat that many before they go bad? Consider this: potatoes from the store have been in cellars for up to a year before they reach the grocers aisle. If the potatoes are kept in a cool, dark place, they can last up to a year. That's a year's worth of deliciousness! You can also share an order with friends and family. Because I'm super nice, I'll even put on a link that gives several wonderful potato dishes. http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/10/50-delicious-fall-side-dishes.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sixsistersstuff%2FTUsn+%28Six+Sisters%27+Stuff%29
There are other side dish recipes on there, too, but potatoes and bacon? Yeah. I'm making these.
If you're hungry for potatoes now, give me a call. I'll send Morgan over to get your order. The money is required up front. The order will be sent in November 1st. We should get the shipment back anywhere from 7 to 10 days, just in time for mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving!
If you want to support Morgan, but don't need potatoes, you can donate to his cause. Checks will need to be written to Troop D-244 and not to Morgan. (the treasurer is making sure that records are kept of how much each boy is earning-- the money goes to that boy)
Also, I'll be putting together 2 lb boxes of candy closer to Christmas for him to sell. You KNOW you want that! Chocolates, cream cheese mints, toffee, and whatever else I can dream up. You're drooling. I am too, kind of.
Friday, October 12, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
i never knew potatoes were from the americas!!! amazing. i missed that history lesson.
my best friend cousin's oldest son is morgan's age and doing the same fundraiser in utah! and he is doing the same trip in conjunction with the jamboree! small world. (or maybe it is a ginormous scout world!)
i'd love to support morgan - count me in with the candies!
I asked Dan if all the LDS scouts were doing the extra trip and he said no. He said there was someone involved in Scouts in the Seattle area that put it together. It doesn't surprise me that other groups are doing the same trip, though. How many times do kids from the west coast get to go over to the east coast and tour the land of church and American history? I'm excited for Morgan. And Dan. I wish I could go, too.
I'll put you down for candy. :)
Post a Comment