Sunday, January 11, 2009

It's All in the Words




A couple of nights ago I ended up sleeping with Alison in her bed, which used to be our bed. Sophie had brought her crackers and cheese to bed a few nights before, so you know how nasty it was to crawl under the blankets and be greeted by a bazillion crumbs. Not to mention the two quadzillion toys that they HAVE to have in order to woo morpheous. Polly Pockets are sharp and pointy at 3 in the morning. The next morning I told Dan that the girls' bed was pretty crumby. He started talking about how wasn't I so glad we'd gotten a new bed, and a sleep number bed, to boot, because our last bed was pretty crummy. Yeah, that's not what I meant.

This isn't a sleep number commercial. While it's an okay bed, it's just basically a really, really expensive air mattress. Someone is making a lot of money, much like the bottled water companies. It's always fun to get into bed and sink to the floor of the "mattress" because one of the kids found the remote and let all the air out. Here I was thinking from the commercials, that I would sleep like a princess, while my prince slept on his own specific cloud of air. Unfortunately, we still suffer from sleep deprivation. It's not so much the bed as the kids. Even in a king sized bed, four is a crowd.
Alison in her 4th of July duds


Tonight I was playing with Ally. One of our favorite games is for me to tell her that I'm going to eat her-- after all, who could resist smooching her sweet cheeks? She always screams and tells me "Don't eat the childrens! We have food downstairs in the pantry!" I pretended offense at this and started fake crying. She said, "Mommy, that is SO annoying. Listen 'Waa Waa Waaa!' See how annoying that is?!" If only she would take her own advice.





Sophie in her 4th of July duds

Last night Sophie came up to me and told me, "You are the best Mom in the whole tall earth!" Unexpected from the children who call me Crabbypants. I asked her how she came up with that. She said, "I was just upstairs in my room thinking about what a nice Mom you are." I held her for a long hug and tried not to cry all over her nightgown, because then she would have complained about me getting it wet.

If you haven't guessed already, a lot of these posts will be about the kids. And the crazy, crazy things they say. Several things add to their loquacity. They all talked in complete sentences by the time they were 2 1/2. And they have the active imaginations of their parents. While it's not always pleasant to listen to them, quite often they come up with some real gems.

1 comment:

melissa said...

That is so sweet-- what Sophie said. It's nice to know that on occasion we moms do exist in our childrens' minds as more than the slave to the peanut butter and jelly!