Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Back in October, we were still our usual selves

I finally got the pictures from Dan's camera on to the computer.  Time to reminisce. 
In October, we went for a family hike at Rattlesnake Lake. 
What fun!  What autumn splendor! 
What fighting and general un-happiness.
Let's say firstly that Heidi hates to hike.  She hates to walk anywhere past the distance of the cul de sac.  We tried to make it seem like fun for her, but she would not be taken in.  We dragged her (whining and screaming) between us, her feet skiing on the carpet of wet, fallen leaves.  Then she sat down.  Like all good and patient parents, we walked off and left her, her whines fading into the distance as she sat there.   Pretty soon there came a patter of little running feet and the zooming in sound of more whining.
Once we got to the lake, everything got monumentally better.  I warned, "Don't get into the water, because it will be a cold, wet ride home."  I was ignored.  It started with the obligatory lobbing of rocks into the water.  "Look, Mom!  I made a rainbow!"  Pretty soon all of the kids were wading ankle deep, knee deep.  Dan taught the kids how to skip rocks. 






There were big stumps everywhere-- I think that Rattlesnake Lake is either a manmade lake or was expanded by man and trees were the unfortunate victims of the encroaching waters.  Everyone wanted to climb on a particular stump and what a great opportunity to take a family shot! 
When will I learn?
There was touching.  Then there was arguing and yelling and suddenly, nature was ruined for anyone within a fifty mile radius.  That's what we do.
P.S.  It was a cold, wet ride home.

No comments: