Alison spends the majority of her day watching TV, because that's the kind of quality parenting I do. There are good and bads to the story. While she often catches me off guard with some of the things she's pulled from her "stories", most of the time it's just white noise to her daily ramblings. Today was one of those days where she kept me in stitches as I listened to her play. When I told her that the bubble gun was broken (i.e. batteries dead and out of bubbles), she walked off, holding her cheek, while saying "I-yi-yi!" in a believable forlorn Mexican accent. I can't even begin to imagine where she got that. Later, we were waiting in the van while Malynn was in swimming lessons. Alison had her Ariel barbie and the Ken/Eric doll (need I say that both were stark naked, except for Ken's one black shoe?). Ariel was weeping because Eric was dead. Suddenly Ariel said, "My tears brought you back to life! All I needed was magic water, and my tears made the water." And then she continued crying for joy at their glorious reunion. Silly little girl.
Last weekend, Morgan went to a birthday party for a friend. He picked out a Star Wars Lego set to give. Oh, but it was just too much to have it in his possession for those few minutes. I let him get the same one for himself with the understanding it would have to wait for his birthday. The day after the party brought about a sudden urgency for good works in my boy. While we went on a date with my visiting parents, Morgan cleaned the main floor of the house and vacuumed. When we pulled up to the house, he was out in the garage sweeping. Amazing. It dawned on me that he was looking for a very particular reward for his diligence. I asked him if he knew what "goodness is its own reward" means. He didn't. The bargaining continued.
Tonight on the way home from the Blue and Gold Banquet for Cub Scouts, Morgan said he'd figured it out. He had been helping to clean up and wanted to sweep. He said that as he swept he realized that Christ was always good and never got a reward. That's what it means. To be good and not expect anything for it. It made me want to cry with joy.
At times I have thought about Joseph Smith and the many things he was able to accomplish at such a young age with little academic learning. It seems impossible. And then I think of a 14 year old spiritual giant that I had the priviledge of teaching on my mission. And now I get to watch my own boy put out spiritual tentacles which will build in him the strength to become something great-- and maybe not great as the world sees it, but a great man who is honorable and brave and steady. That's all that I hope for him to be.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment