Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Fourth of July Parade

Every year, our subdivision has a kids' 4th of July Parade. We decorate scooters, bikes, strollers, trikes, etc. in the old red, white, and blue (with sparkles and balloons for good measure). The kids are seperated by ages and blaze out down the main drag following old guys (because all of the fathers are trying to keep their kids from causing a traffic accident) on Harleys while (this year in a very loud tribute to MJ) music blasts from a huge stereo system. It ends with a sticky, sweet firework popcicle enjoyed by all.
We started the day just right. I woke up at 9:30 when Dan said, "Aren't we supposed to be there at 9:45?" We made it on time, not so much because of our speed, but because it's hard to corral a large number of kids and their chatty parents.
This year it was VERY HOT. At least 80 degrees by 10 am. Sophie and Alison insisted on riding their bikes. Sophie figured out AFTER we nearly took out several kids and their dads, how to use her brakes. And then she used them profusely. Alison doesn't like going fast, as her few trips into the light fantastic have ended in tragedy. She closed up the parade a good 50 yards after the rest, smiling and waving to her adoring fans. Then she left me packing her bike, while she ran off to get a popcicle.
Since it was so hot, the popcicles melted everywhere before they were gone. Of course, in the rush to get out the door, I hadn't remembered to pack the wipes. I thought it was a good excuse. Sophie did not. She was very indignant that I should suffer from such a lapse in my motherly duties-- you know, to anticipate every possible condition and prepare for it accordingly.
The local firestation happily donates it's time to join the festivities. They block off the street and stand by later to entertain all of the kids. I'm so glad we live in such a community minded community.





1 comment:

melissa said...

What a fun parade. I need a more "community minded comunity"! The kids look so festive!
Tell Morgan I loved his transmorgifier thingy . . . boys are so fun!